How To Become a Pet-Friendly Airbnb or Short Term Rental
As guardians of our own 65 lb. English Bulldog/Pitball mix named Odin, we believe there are many benefits to becoming a pet-friendly airbnb or short-term rental. Not only will your guests and their pets feel welcome, but you can also attract more business. When we started our short term rental business in March, 2021, we weren't pet friendly. But when the slower season started, we decided that allowing pets in our properties was something worth trying. We have never looked back!
Most people consider pets a part of the family and want bring their furry friends along on vacation. Pets can provide good company and make a trip feel more like home. If you're looking to become a pet-friendly airbnb or short-term rental, there are a few things you can do to make your guests feel welcome.
Here are some tips:
1. Display pet-friendly policies prominently on your listing or direct booking site.
Let guests know that their furry friends are welcome at your property, what's allowed during their stay, what is not, and what the extra fees are for pets (if any). Offering clear and concise pet rules helps everyone be on the same page before check-in. Rules for pet owners can vary from property to property, but there are a few general things to keep in mind. While we don't specify any rules for breed types or sizes, some owners may. Here are the pet guidelines you may want to consider:
Pets will be well-behaved and not bark excessively.
Pets will be properly groomed and not have any unpleasant odors.
Pets will be current on all vaccinations and flea/tick regimen.
2. Have adequate space for pets to roam, as well as providing food and water. When preparing your property for pets, it is important to provide enough space for them to roam, both inside and outside. This includes having a designated area for pets to sleep, as well as plenty of room to play.
3. Offer special amenities for pets. This could include a pet bed, food and water bowls, and toys. In addition to providing a space for pets to roam, it is also important to provide amenities. This could include food and water bowls, pet beds, and toys.
4. Remove any toxic plants.
We all want our short term rentals to be stylish and well-decorated, but when being pet-friendly, be sure to decorate with plants that are safe for dogs.
5. Be prepared for accidents. Make sure you have a plan in place for dealing with pet waste, and keep ample supplies of pet shampoo, carpet cleaner, and other cleaning supplies on hand.
6. Clearly communicate how pet damages are handled. At our properties, the damage waiver does not include pet damages. Pet guardians are responsible for paying for damages to the property. Be sure to clearly outline how pet damages are covered in your pet rules so guests know what to expect before check-in.
By following these tips, you can create a pet-friendly airbnb or short-term rental that both you and your guests will love. Want to a copy of our pet guidelines? Email me and we'll share!